As a Relic Hunter you want to "collect 'em all". Finding over 2200 items scattered all across Skyrim is not something that happens overnight. Consider these major tips when adventuring across the wastelands of Skyrim, Wyrmstooth, Falskaar, Hammerfell, Cyrodill,...
- Auryen can wait, look at those books!
The road from the Solitude docks to the Dragonborn Hall is filled with unprotected stuff like books and gems. All of these things belong in the museum and will help get you to those important numbers 250 and 270.
- Useless junk is never truly useless.
Making replicas will be an important factor as soon as you start doing quests. Most of these replicas require fancy crafting materials that aren't used at all in Vanilla. You will need things like Human Skull, Linen Wrap, Quill, Roll of Paper, etc more often than not.
- Carry weight is the key.
Bandolier is good mod to help solve this major problem a Relic Hunter will face. Getting your carry weight to 700+ as soon as possible will help you a long way ahead. Other mods like EFF or AFT will help you too. Don't hesitate to hire an army of pack mules to follow you around.
- Give that back? Hmm, maybe next year.
- All NPC's lives matter
It is not advisable to go on a killing spree while doing a Relic Hunter run. Most NPC's are bound to one quest or another and even the smallest quests can have a relic at the end, quests like "Deceiving the Herd" are therefor better avoided. Aside from Nazeem ofcourse, do whatever you want with him.
- The Boots of Springheel Jak
- Right Eye of Coldharbour
- Eagle Eye
- Schneider's Sextant
- Ayleid Waystone
- Sword of Ancient Tongues
Getting your archeology skill up is a major part of a relic hunter run. As soon as you get your Explorer's Society guild house, you have acces to the special skill trees. Look out for excavation dig site's in every dungeon, they yield important fragments for your Hall of Lost Empires. The amount of fragments you need for every craftable items are listed below. Note that these numbers would require over 250 minings to get (without the perks).
Besides mining, the player can send 4 Explorer Society Guild members on excavations (Eriana cannot be send out) every 3 days to collect fragments. They collect about 5 - 6 pieces each with a decent chance to get keystones.
Skills, perks and effects
- Prowler's Profit (No Stone Unturned)
Although the quest is a real pain, the reward is a must-have. This effect will allow you to find 3 gems in every single container. That means every single burial urn will contain treasures for you to display or sell.
- Extra Pockets (Pickpocket perk)
- Exhume/Scavanger/Salvager (Academia perks)
Pay extra attention when entering these places because the relics here will forever be lost if they aren't found on your first (and last) visit.
|Roasted Ox Head|
|Roasted Ox Leg|
|Nord Head (requires BadGremlin's Trophy Heads, the main quest completed esp on BadGremlins Trophy Heads mod page places the head atop the Throat of the World instead)|
|Dragon Priest Staff (Wall of Lightning)|
|Nahkriin's Gloves (requires Konahrik's Accoutrements)|
|Nahkriin's Robes (requires Konahrik's Accoutrements)|
|Nahkriin's Greaves (requires Konahrik's Accoutrements)|
|Cloak of Nahkriin|
|Left Eye of the Falmer|
|Right Eye of the Falmer|
|Morokei's Gloves (requires Konahrik's Accoutrements)|
|Morokei's Robes (requires Konahrik's Accoutrements)|
|Morokei's Greaves (requires Konahrik's Accoutrements)|
|Cloak of Morokei|
|If either of the masks Morokei or Nahkriin are missed, Konahrik becomes unavailable. Without Kohnarik, most items from Konahrik's Accoutrements become unobtainable.|
|Jade Dragon 4|
|Ruby Paragon -> Auriel's Shield|
|Circlet of Waterbreathing|
|Bloated Man's Grotto (before 'Ill Met by Moonlight')|
|Bolar's Oathblade (before 'Ill Met by Moonlight')|
|Thalmor Head (requires BadGremlin's Trophy Heads)|
|Any Orc Stronghold, except Largashbur|
|The Forgemaster's Fingers (Not obtainable if you are an Orc)|
|Ancient Shrouded Armor (not obtainable if you decided to destroy the Brotherhood or neglect to kill Giaus Maro in public)|
Quests to postpone
- Ill Met by Moonlight
- Makes Bolar's Oathblade unobtainable. Travel to Bloated Man's Grotto before getting to the hunt part of this quest.
- If you choose to save Sinding, you will not be able to craft Savior's Hide (Replica). Therefor it is advised to kill & skin Sinding, since you will still be able to craft Ring of Hircine (Replica).
- A Daedra's Best Friend
- Lost to the Ages
- Dungeon Delving (Helm of Winterhold)
- Make absolute sure you get Helm of Yngol before you talk to Jarl Korir.
- Season Unending
- Siding with the Empire will make Maven Black-Briar Jarl of Riften. She will not give you the option to become Thane if you have completed the Skooma Quest The Raid prior to siding with the Empire. Neither will Jarl Korir be available for the abovementionned Helm of Winterhold quest.
- Siding with the Stormcloacks will make Thongvor Jarl of Markarth. He will not give you the option to collect Hrolfdir's Shield.
- Finishing this quest will mess with the guards in some of the holds, making their outfits unobtainable.
- In short, just make sure to be Thane of every hold before doing the main questline or the civil war.
- Civil War
- Siding with the Empire and completing the Civil War questline will cause "Blood on the Ice" to be unavailable, so the Necromancer's Amulet can not be recovered. It will also mess with the Jarls which causes numerous problems with their fetch quests. - Note: You might be able to start the quest by buying the house first and entering it.
Dawnguard vs Volkihar Clan
Not sure what side holds the most relics for you to display? They're listed below.
|Amulet of Bats|
|Amulet of the Gargoyle|
|Ancient Vampire Leg|
|Ancient Vampire Ribcage|
|Ancient Vampire Hands|
|Ancient Vampire Arm|
|Ancient Vampire Head|
|Ring of the Beast|
|Ring of the Erudite|
|Staff of Ruunvald|
Note: The Dwemer Crossbow schematics are made available to Vampires by Legacy of the Dragonborn through the Ancient Technology quest.
Quick display count
A fast way to boost your display count, which is most effective on a new character, is to go to the Arcanaeum in the College of Winterhold and steal every book from the bookshelves. A large number of these will be displayable within the museum library. If you have VIGILANT installed, there is a library in the Temple of Stendarr where you can also repeat this process with. Every unique, displayable book counts as one relic.