There are many places throughout the museum where you can display the Paintings you find or buy in your travels.
In total, there are 91 painting displays in 4 areas of the museum:
- 51 painting displays in the Hall of Heroes
- 29 painting displays in the Culture and Art Gallery
- 7 painting displays in The Library
- 4 painting displays in The Safehouse
Breaking down to:
The Library (7)
- 6 to the left of the Jewelry cabinet, unless you have Amulets of Skyrim and its Legacy patch active in your game, which disables those 6 displays to make room for the Amulets of Skyrim jewelry cabinet
- 1 on the wall along the stairs leading to the Armory
- 6 in the south east corner
- 10 in the south west corner
- 7 in the north west corner
- 6 in the north east corner
The Safehouse (4)
- 3 in the living room. 2 against the west wall, 1 above the sell pile cart. The location above the sell cart can be difficult to reach
- 1 in the kitchen above the open cupboard
Hall of Heroes (51)
- 2 in the Entrance of the museum
- 6 in the Reception Hall
- 3 in the Staff Barracks
- 3 on the wall along the stairs leading to the Upper Gallery
- 11 on the wall along the stairs leading down to the Culture and Art Gallery and the Gallery of Natural Science
- 12 along the stairs leading to the Daedric Exhibit Hall
- 14 along the stairs leading to the Hall of Lost Empires
Most general stores sell paintings, and there are many to be found in dungeons all across Skyrim. The number of paintings sold by a general store is random. It can be either 1, 2 or none, it differs from playthrough to playthrough. Paintings can also randomly be found in boss chests and in containers in houses (like chests and cupboards).
A total of 32 can be found:
- Arnleif and Sons Trading Company in Markarth - On a box near the counter.
- Belethor's General Goods in Whiterun - On a shelf behind the counter.
- Bilegulch Mine - On the main table.
- Birna's Oddments in Winterhold - In a display case to the left of the counter.
- Bits and Pieces in Solitude - On a cabinet to the left just as you enter.
- Bleak Falls Barrow - On top of a chest in the first room of the dungeon with the many dead skeevers lying around and two bandits by a campfire. The chest is to the right of the campfire.
- Cragslane Cavern - On a shelf near the boss chest.
- Embershard Mine - In the room with the boss chest.
- Faldar's Tooth - On the counter in the caged room with the boss chest.
- Fort Dunstad, Commander's Quarters - On a shelf across the entrance.
- Fort Greymoor - On a small table in the room with the burned bodies in a cage.
- Fort Hraggstad - Top floor on the table where the Bandit Chief is located.
- Frostmere Crypt - On top of a chest in a side room to the right shortly after entering the crypt.
- Gray Pine Goods in Falkreath - On a shelf behind the counter.
- Halted Stream Camp - On the table near the boss chest.
- Knifepoint Ridge - on a low shelf next to the alchemy lab.
- Lost knife Hideout - On a table near the animal cages.
- Mistwatch East Tower - On a table in the central room.
- Ravenscar Hollow - At the end on a table near the Boss chest.
- Redoran's Retreat - On a box in the final chamber of the cave.
- Riften Marketplace - On Brand-Shei's stand.
- Riverwood Trader - On the counter.
- Robber's Cove - On a table at the ladder.
- Sadri's Used Wares in Windhelm - On the shelf behind the counter.
- Silent Moons Camp - On a table in the back room of the camp's interior.
- Swindler's Den - On a table at the back of the central chamber with many dining tables.
- The Pawned Prawn in Riften - On a shelf behind the counter.
- Uttering Hils Cave - On the table in the Boss room.
- Valtheim Towers - At the Northern Tower on the Bandit Chief's table upstairs.
- White River Watch - On the dresser in the second room after passing Ulfr the Blind.
- Wreck of The Winter War - On some barrels and crates outside the superstructure.
- Wreck of the Strident Squall on Solstheim - on a table in the superstructure.